Thursday, July 31, 2008

i eat chicken feet

Yes ladies and gentlemen, that is a chicken foot and I ate it. Well, tried too. Sylvan and I stared at the grilled goodies for a while before asking the cook behind the cart if it was in fact, a chicken's foot. She spoke no English so Sylvan pointed to the foot and did an awkward clawing/walking motion with his hands. The woman smiled ans shook her head yes. A local man pointed and laughed, then imitated Sylvan's hand motions. Sylvan got a plate of assorted chicken parts and we sat down at the table next to the cart. We had no idea how we were going to eat a chicken's foot so we watch the family across the table from us. I figured that if the five year old across from me could do it, so could I. Sylvan picked up the foot and tried to take a bite from one of the toes. The man again laughed. Then, without words, he showed Sylvan how to eat a chicken's foot. Put lime in the pepper and dip. Then use the foot like a fork and eat some vegetables. Then bite into the foot and enjoy. The skin was tough and there was really not meat on the foot. I tried to eat as much of it as I could but kept getting chunks of bone and cartilage.



Sylvan and I have tried a bunch of other local food that is absolutely delicious and phenomenal in ways that I didn't think were possible but it's more fun to show pictures of the gross stuff. Some of my favorite local, homemade snacks have been popped rice balls (kind of like a rice crispy treat, but with some brown substance instead of marshmallows), candied banana in sticky rice baked in a banana leaf, and amazing coconut curry (a local favorite). Last night Sylvan and I went to Chez Claude's "one of the best restaurants on the south coast" and had the most amazing seafood spread: giant prawns, calamari, scallops, ceviche, and barracuda. Khmer food is amazing and delicious. I haven't been disappointing with a Khmer dish yet... except chicken feet. Gross.

1 comment:

Brian said...

having grown up on a farm, raising chickens, i have decided that the one thing i will not eat is chicken feet. upon a cursory examination of the anatomy of a chicken, one will observe the location of the feet in relation to the 'crapper'. needless to say, some contamination occurs.