Thursday, July 31, 2008

i screamed, but nobody heard

Wednesday evening:
It was dark out. I saw a cockroach crawling outside our room. I stomped my feet in an attempt to scare it off. It moved a few feet away from the door but I watched it as I unlocked the door, just in case it decided to make a run for me... or for our room. I kept my eye on it as I stepped into our room and slowly reached for the light switch. The lights flashed on and in the second it took for my eyes to adjust I felt something. I felt a rather large something crawling on my hand and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a large dark mass. I screamed, but nobody heard. I flicked the cockroach off of my hand and it scurried under the bed.

Later that night:
I got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. I turned on the bathroom light, sat down to pee, and looked up. There he was, just sitting on the rim of the trash can, waving his long antennae, looking right at me.
"Sylvan?" Nothing. A little louder, "Sylvan?"
"Mmm, yeah?" he moans, half awake.
"The really big bug is in here."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah, come see it. This is the one that scared me earlier."
"Mmm, okay." The bed creeks loudly. I hear Sylvan walk toward the bathroom. "Hmm, that's a big bug." Sylvan shuffles back to bed. The bed creeks again.
"Well, what should I do about it?" I ask, only slightly concerned that my new friend will find his way into our bed sometime before daybreak.
"Nothing?" says Sylvan, half asleep.
"Okay."

The next day:


1 comment:

Jocelynn Gebhart Stacy Hsu said...

this reminds me so much of the days in asia. oh cockroaches...
how are you guys doing?!!!

stace